Monday 22 December 2008

Weekend in Dubai – Day 2

Day 1 was mostly about the Annual Dinner. Day 2 was free reign. At least, for me. The rest of the group had a sight-seeing tour around new Dubai, and a desert safari in the afternoon.

So the morning of Day 2, after breakfast in the room (mini-croissants and cupcakes bought the previous day), I sent Nany and A’isyah to the Umm Suquem Spinneys while I headed out to the site office. I had some files on a thumbdrive to pass to someone, but when I got there, there was no one around. The security guards told me that people would only start coming in after 1pm, since there was a dinner the night previous. Odd, I thought.

I went back to pick up Nany and A’isyah, then we headed over to the Dubai Mall. On the way there I received a call from the office. They needed someone to direct the tour group to the site office and give them a tour before lunch. After checking the timing, I agreed to meet up with the group at Souk Madinat Jumeirah around noon. That gave us an hour plus at Dubai Mall.

And that turns out to be more than enough time. Dubai Mall is open, but it’s not quite ready. The first thing you notice when entering from the parking lot (besides all the construction workers around) is the paint smell. Lots of spaces are still under construction, so all the sounds and smells are still there. There are some shops already operating, but I can’t imagine there’s much foot traffic yet.

Aquarium at Dubai Mall

We only came over to check out the big tank at the centre, to compare with the one at Atlantis that we had seen the previous day. I’m not certain which aquarium is larger, or which one has more fish. It doesn’t really matter. Both aquariums have something to offer the visitor. The one at Atlantis has a unique setting, while the one at Dubai Mall has a larger viewing area. I never went “inside” either area, so I can’t comment on the paid areas, except to note that the aquarium at Dubai Mall is cheaper than the aquarium at Atlantis.

Touch screen map at Dubai Mall
The only other thing worthy of comment at the Dubai Mall is their touch screen navigational aids. After experiencing (read: playing around with) the touch screen map at the Gardens Mall in KL, I can’t help but to compare to the better implemented aid. The touch screen map at the Dubai Mall isn’t good for much more than listing the stores at the mall. Finding your way around on it, and finding the location of the stores is pretty much a hopeless task. Since there’s going to be a lot of stores at the Dubai Mall once it’s fully operational, I hope they improve on that. The other quibble I have is that they don’t have a static map displayed, unlike at the Gardens. So if someone is playing around with the map (which I’ve seen people do at the Gardens), anyone else wanting to find a shop will just have to stand around waiting their turn.

After Dubai Mall, we headed out to Souk Madinat Jumeirah. This ranks (a distant) third amongst the malls we like to visit, after Mall of the Emirates, and Mercato. While waiting for the group to arrive, we went to Seattle’s Best Coffee for a light lunch of sandwiches, cake, and coffee. After that, we collected our car from the parking lot and waited just outside, right before the junction. The group arrived late, and I heard later that they just rushed through the souk to take photos. We were an hour later than the schedule leaving the souk. The bus driver knew the way to the Nad Al Sheba Racecourse, so I only had to show the entrance to our site office from the construction entrance.

Once at the site office, I gave the group a tour of the two office buildings, and gave them a briefing on the project. At the second office, they went off to the canteen for their lunch (nasi lemak, I was told later), while we left. I sent Nany back to the Spinneys where she was going to be picked up by friends for a gathering. Then I headed back to the site office to hand over the files and check in with some old friends. After a while, I went to the HQ for some official business and to check in with yet more friends. And then I went to pick up Nany and A’isyah back from the Spinneys.

We headed back to the hotel, where we cleaned up, and then, together with a colleague, we took off for Global Village. It was my first time driving there, and thankfully we didn’t have too much trouble finding the place. Global Village has changed since last we visited, and it didn’t seem as crowded, although we didn’t go to the amusement park area. Still, the parking lots didn’t seem as full. Maybe it was still early in the season.

We ate (overpriced) briyani, and then walked around, visiting some of the pavilions. Eventually we got tired, so we went back to the car, and waited there for my colleague to finish her shopping. Driving back to the hotel my colleague showed the route their bus driver had taken earlier. It was shorter than my earlier attempts, but we had to go over some rough patches since we cut across on a back lane.

We arrived back at the hotel around midnight, and went straight to sleep.

No comments: