Friday 19 December 2008

Dateline vs deadline

I was working on minutes earlier today, and was just reminded of a pet peeve of mine.

I’ve created templates for minutes before, and once, someone used my template but went and changed one of the column headings. Said person thought they were correcting my spelling. Then when I came back to the KL office, I was passed a set of minutes that had the same error. When preparing the very next minutes, I corrected the error, but was queried on it. So I explained the difference, and below I’m sharing that critical explanation.

Dateline is mainly used in the newspaper business.  You’d see it at the top of stories, together with a byline.  The dateline identifies the time and place for a story; the byline identifies the reporter.
Click here for definitions.

Deadline, on the other hand, is the point in time when something is due.  Quite a few people erroneously write “dateline” to connote when something is due, when they actually mean “deadline”.
Click here for definitions.

I suspect I will continue to encounter this. At least next time I have the explanation all ready to be shared.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Said person thought they were correcting my spelling...."

said person is the village idiot! ;p as in the same pompous jackass frustrated-architect-wannabe who has selective memory right?!

*shivers at the memory of him forcing her to use the same word for her reports as well*