Saturday 25 March 2006

Losing a little bit of history to development

Well, it's happening everywhere, and not too surprising in a developing country.

Penang's about to lose a little bit more of it's heritage.

The International School of Penang, or as it's better know, Uplands School, has long occupied some heritage buildings along a historic part of the island. I just read in yesterday's NST that part of the campus along Jalan Gurney has been earmarked for some development.

I still remember moving to that building. I went to Uplands from 1985 to 1988. We moved the classes to there early in my stay at Uplands. The boarders were going to move there too (across the field from the school building), right after I left Uplands.

Lots of memories from my years there...

I've seen some pics of the new campus that was purpose-built for Uplands. Looks nice, modern. Won't be long before a part of my history disappears.

For that, I'm a bit sad.

No comments: