Tuesday 20 April 2010

“Oh, we’re not friends with him any more”

I’m really curious how that conversation would go. It’s a hypothetical conversation of course. At least, as far as I’m concerned.

I once was married and now am not. I am also a few friends short.

Let’s start with two sets of friends, one mine (M), one hers (H). Then we’ll intersect them (M-I-H) for after we met. There are still members of the original sets outside the intersection. Due to the dynamics of sympathy, I have since discovered that it is no longer possible to identify the original boundaries of M and H. Hence, upon separation, we are left with {M} – {M-I-H} and {H} + {M-I-H}. There are a few rogue elements that do not obey this, but by and large, it seems to be the case.

Am I bitter about this? Once I was. Not any more.

Good thing my experience teaches me how to renew {M} as and when necessary.

No comments: