Friday 21 August 2009

1 Ramadhan, 1430H

That’s tomorrow’s date in the hijri calendar, and it marks the start of the fasting month for Muslims. Now since the hijri calendar is (sorta) a lunar calendar, and the start of Ramadhan coincides with the observation of the new moon, the fasting month begins on different days depending on which country you’re in. Some have actually started today, and some won’t start til Sunday.

Ramadhan is the holiest month in the Muslim calendar, promising rewards for the devout Muslim. I won’t go into all that, as I’m hardly the best tutor for the subject. Here in Malaysia, though, Ramadhan also coincides with the most amazing culinary delights of the year. It’s not uncommon for people to feel that you get the best foods during this time of year. From the street bazaars offering the (seemingly) unique Ramadhan and Aidilfitri fare, to the buka puasa buffets in all the top restaurants and hotels, all the best foods Malaysia has to offer make their appearance during this month. Seriously, when else are you going to find lemang in the streets? And that’s just one example.

I definitely go to the pasar Ramadhan whenever I can, to stock up on foods for the breaking of fast, or for sahur the next morning. As for the buffet treats, I haven’t tried many of them. Not that that’s necessarily because I’m at the mosque performing tarawih. Sometimes it’s just too much bother. You definitely have to book for those buka puasa dinners, cos the seats go quickly. And finding a surau for maghrib prayers can sometimes be troublesome.

That’s ok though. I figure I’m not really missing out. I shouldn’t be gorging myself on delicious foods for an hour after a full day of fasting anyway. It’s not healthy. Everything in moderation.

Here we go then. One month – 30 days – of testing your discipline, reflecting on your worthiness, appreciating all that you have, and enriching yourself.

Ramadhan Kareem! Selamat berpuasa!

No comments: