Tuesday 28 February 2006

A primer on appendicitis

So, I've been doing a little research on my little surgery last week.

First, some good links on the topic, for anyone interested in learning more about it.


In a nutshell, this is how it happens:
The appendix is this small appendage connected to the beginning of the large intestine. Now, the opening that connects to the intestine can get blocked, most commonly by fecal matter. Bacterial or viral infections can also cause an inflammation which leads to the opening of the appendix getting blocked. When the appendix gets blocked, there will be a buildup of bacteria inside the appendix, causing it to swell, and eventually rupture.

Some extra information that I've gathered:

  1. Anyone can get appendicitis, but it's most common between the ages of 10 and 30.

  2. Recovery time varies from person to person, but is usually between 10 and 28 days. And doctors will usually recommend limited strenous activity (no heavy lifting) for 4 to 6 weeks after the surgery. No wonder my surgeon gave me MC for 3 weeks!

  3. Rupture of the appendix is a serious complication, which can lead to peritonitis and abscess, which, in some cases, can cause organ failure and even death.



Ok, so I guess any surgery is serious. I should rest.

The one thing I really don't like is not being able to carry my daughter. Even not going to work is not getting to me too much, though I sometimes feel like I'm being a little less responsible. But what really bites is that I can hold A'isyah, but I can't lift her. So I can't take her on our little walks. :-(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MC 3 WEEKS?!? Bestnya!!!
Even if you can't carry A'isyah, at least you can just be with her kan ;) Enjoy it!
~Ayin